Re: failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.org/rasbian ...

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.org/rasbian ...
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:30:51 +0100

Hi Jim,

I guess what you **want** to do is *use* GNU Radio, not primarily *build it* from source; right?

While I can't rule out that you *could* build GNU Radio 3.9 for debian Jessie, it's positively ancient, and Debian says Jessie reached its end-of-life more than a year ago, after 5 years of support. Building modern Software on End-of-life operating systems is no fun – and I'd like to point out it's also very hard to help you, and honest recommendations will often amount to "simply don't".

So, honestly, migrate to a more modern raspberry Pi OS – you'll be much happier, and if I read the release notes[1] correctly, you'd get Debian 11. Building GNU Radio for Debian 11 works.
But even better:
After a simple upgrade to bookworm [2] you'd be getting GNU Radio 3.9 simply by running `apt install gnuradio`. (I haven't tried that myself, don't have a RPi.) If upgrading from Debian 11 to Bookworm (which will be 12) is not an option (FOR A REASON, honestly, upgrading debian is rather smooth), do not go the manual route of building GNU Radio from source using cmake/make/ a lot of time figuring things out, but simply use our or the official debian packaging tools to automate that building for you. Let the system work for you – you're a human, you should not be tasked with memorizing the ways other people build software,

Generally, avoid building humongous C++ software like GNU Radio on the target device (you'll run out of RAM very quickly, compilation is slow, using swap space makes it even slower but has no alternative due to lack of RAM…); instead, use cross compilation, or better even, install a readily built package (that's what Linux distros are for, in the end). The cases where you should build large software on a RPi3 are – I haven't found one.

Best regards,
Marcus

[1] https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_armhf/release_notes.txt
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Bookworm/Upgrades