Newbie Question about the DBKit

From: Martin Häcker
Subject: Newbie Question about the DBKit
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:17:40 +0100

Salve!

Uhm, I dont really know how to ask this, but here I go...

Is it possible to use the DBKit under Mac OS X?

While following this list and the Cocoa-List from Apple for some time
I kinda learned that there is much demand for this by many OS X
programmers.

The problem is that Apple just "accidently" :(( dropped support for
WebObjects in ObjC and thus its far harder to do database integration
in Cocoa.

So right now all these devellopers are just hanging in the middle of
some very thin air.

On the other hand you´ve got this Phantastik piece of software, that
everybody seems to want but nobody seems to knows... (uhm, you get
what I´m meaning... :)

So my question is: What would it take to make it possible to access
the DBKit from Cocoa apps? Although I tried to find this out by
following this list and reading whatever Info I could find on the
GnuStep Websites, I´m sorry that I for myself are far too much of a
newbee to find this out for myself. :(

My current understanding of this issue is that the DBKit somehow uses
very much of the GnuStep parts that differ from OS X, so that it
would be impossible to port it.

Or that the Code simply isent there, in terms of functionality.

Sorry, but I dont know where to ask or search next, so please give me
a hint. :)

Also, wouldn't this be _THE_ chance to make the GnuStep Project
_very_ popular among a ton of OS X developers.

Wouldn't it? <gg>

thx in advance,
Martin
--