Re: Re[3]: Gnustep + mac + windows?)

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: Re[3]: Gnustep + mac + windows?)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:09:39 +0200

On 2002-09-26 08:22:03 +0100 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk>
wrote:

   From: "Manuel Guesdon" <ml@orange-concept.com>
On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:14:22 +0200 Andreas Heppel <aheppel@web.de> wrote:

Another thought is that GNUstep like lots of 'free' projects is based on
people interests. If someone want a feature,
it code it. If he's the only one who want it and don't want to make it,
the feature never come. I think GNustep is like
this: people have different interests and desire and make things to follow
that. Windows people and Mac OS X
ones may choose to be interested and participate to GNUstep development
but why one should do it for them ?

Because not everyone who desires a feature has the ability or time to do it.
I've seen quite a lot of people on this list ask about windows or mac os x
compatibility. GNustep, like most open source software, is made to be used.
Users of something don't have to be developers of that thing too. If you
were developing a multimedia application and a user asks about a loop
fonctionality, would you complain "why should I do it for him"? You'd either
code it or not or someone else would, or not. If you got 100s of requests
for that feature, you might consider implementing it although you wouldn't
use it yourself...

Yep ... I agree with both points of view ... sometimes I implement stuff I
have no intention of using (though most often when I think there is a chance
I might want to use it in future) ... like a lot of the work porting the
base library to windoze.  On the other hand, it's frustrating to see people
asking for features but not contributing, or worse, asking for features, which
I implement, and then nobody (or hardly anybody) uses.  Despite the frustration,
we have to keep trying ... it's one way progress happens.

I fully agree, too. Nothing to be added here.

You don't have to try and make people switch to unix or GNustep. Andreas
said "Windows developers could be interested in GNustep, if they joined it
would help". Nobody's saying you have to try and convert them. Just that if
GNustep had a windows GUI, more people would join, which would be good for
GNustep.

I think this is true ... but Fred has done the major work of implementing the
windows gui to the point where less experienced people ought to be able to
take development forward, now is probably the time for people who want to
develop on windows to have the vision to work on it.  It's unreasonable to
expect core GNUstep developers who work entirely on GNU/linuxto put a lot of
their time into windows development (though I think we've all offered to help
and advise).

I can fully understand your point here. I haven't looked into GNUstep for
Windows, yet, but from the one or other posting here I get the impression that
the foundation is pretty far. As I am a bit out of Windows (my last experience
is Win9x and NT 4.0) and fully into Linux I wouldn't want to take the lead in
carrying on the Windows port. But if anyone says he/she wants to take the main
part in this I might at least be able to help here and there or give some
advice.
And this would surely be not for me, but "for them" ;-)

Cheers,
Andreas

--

Andreas Heppel           SYSGO Real-Time Solutions GmbH     ahe@sysgo.de