Re: Proposal for new layout of the GNUstep website now online

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Proposal for new layout of the GNUstep website now online
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:08:55 +0100

Just note for those who do not remeber...

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.gnustep.org

And to add my opinion ... it should be bright not dark.

Stefan

On 2002-10-09 23:18:32 +0200 Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
<lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:

Am Mittwoch den, 9. Oktober 2002, um 21:37, schrieb Pascal Bourguignon:

If we really  need to change the  look of the GNUstep web,  and if you
really want  to impress the GNUstep  logo, perhaps with  a very light,
enlarged version  of the logo in  background would be  enough, and the
text over it could have a more classical layout.

But it is of course not all wrong what you and the others said. The
design will go through an overhaul the next days and I try to bring all
the advice "under one hat" as they say in Germany.

I   don't   see   anything   wrong   with   the   style   of   current
http://www.gnustep.org/   Even   better  is   the   text  version   at
http://www.gnustep.org/lynxversion.html

Background images are lame ;-) and you need to make them quite large to avoid
pattering, what looks *really* awkward. The purpose of the not so usual layout
is just to look not so usual and worn out. When I came to the GNUstep website
for my first time years ago, it had a appealing design (compared to the
standards of websites around this time), it didn't look just like everybody's
website around this time (standard grey background, times fontface, lots of
blinking texts and animated email icons - I hope you remember). If GNUstep's
website would have looked like every other or worse, I wouldn't have bothered
with GNUstep at all. The FIRST IMPRESSION IS IMPORTANT, today GNUstep's website
design wouldn't scare me away anymore, might it be as ugly as possible (I don't
say it is, it is just suboptimal) since now I know the inner values of GNUstep.
But put yourself in the position of somebody, who comes along the GNUstep
website for the very first time - this is my point - peop!
le judge
from the look. And while it might suit your needs perfectly, I don't think that
the lynxversion would attract crowds of people.

So times are changing and the GNUstep website looks a little aged over the
years. It could need a facelift...

Well, my proposal was a first shot and I didn't say it is perfect (otherwise I
wouldn't have asked you)

Lars

more to come soon...

greetings, Lars