Re: ANNOUNCE: skyrix-core-42 available

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: skyrix-core-42 available
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 09:44:20 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Why do you need MIME for NSURL ?
Well, strictly speaking it was for HTTP rather than MIME, but they are so similar that I
implemented it as the GSMime class so it could be used generally too.

Hm.

Sounds a bit "over-engineered" to me ;-) HTTP is far simpler than MIME (more or less a small subset) even if this might not be apparent if you look at it. HTTP (as available through the NSURL API) has no duplicate headers, to line folding, a single charset, no line length limitations, no multiparts, ...

Why doing more than required in the very core library ? This way not only the code base is more complicated, but applications developed against GNUstep are not unlikely to be incompatible to other Foundations (pretty much the same way Cocoa apps are because of CF).

Sorry, if I'm too negative ;-)

I suspect Pantomime didn't re-use it, because it had not been ported to MacOS-X

In my understanding Pantomime's primary goal is to implement the javax.mail API (which came out long after we started NGMime/NGImap4). IMHO this is a good choice (I also always wanted to make things more javax.mail like). A MIME library cannot be implemented in a single class, MIME is a very complex thing in practice.

Greetings
  Helge