Re: project goal Re: Release schedule

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: project goal Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:24:59 -0400

On 2003-04-15 06:26:07 +0000 Willem Rein Oudshoorn <woudshoo@xs4all.nl> wrote:

I agree with most points raised by Helge.  From my limited point
of view superiority has nothing to do with becoming popular.
Filling a need seems to be the crucial factor.

That's exactly my point.  There is NO way GNUstep can fill a need on X11
because, with a few minor exceptions, all the major applications that people
need are already available there.  That's why Fresco (and the easy portability
between OS X and GNUstep) is a major opportunity.  With Fresco, there IS a
serious need for a desktop system and applications.

And from a user point of view, why would a user try something new?

If we were talking about Windows or Mac users, they wouldn't.  But many people
working with Linux (and I assume with BSD as well) love new toys.  I've been in
more than one discussion of Fresco and people always expressed sadness that
there weren't any applications on Fresco because they would love to try it out.

I don't, however, recall anyone saying, "Why would I try Fresco?  X is good
enough."

I'm not saying it would be the route to world domination but there is a need to
be filled there.  I'm not a programmer by profession--I only dabble in it for
fun--so I don't know how difficult it would be to do this (perhaps someone
knowledgable could walk me through the backend code and explain how a new back
module would be written).  But if it were fairly straightforward, it might be
an avenue to more recognition for two projects that are of value.