Re: project goal Re: Release schedule

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: project goal Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:38:49 -0400

Jason Clouse wrote:

> On 2003-04-15 06:26:07 +0000 Willem Rein Oudshoorn <woudshoo@xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
> > I agree with most points raised by Helge.  From my limited point
> > of view superiority has nothing to do with becoming popular.
> > Filling a need seems to be the crucial factor.
>
> That's exactly my point.  There is NO way GNUstep can fill a need on X11
> because, with a few minor exceptions, all the major applications that
> people need are already available there.  That's why Fresco (and the
> easy portability between OS X and GNUstep) is a major opportunity.  With
> Fresco, there IS a serious need for a desktop system and applications.

Assumes facts not in evidence...primarily, that there is a need for Fresco
in the first place, though that is by no means the only one. GGI is
garbage, GII is worse, KGI is never going to become part of the kernel
because Linus hates it, and even distributions that ship GNUstep stuff
don't really do anything about Berlin/Fresco/whatever.

Further, GNUstep wouldn't fit in at *all* with their system. They put the
"widgets" into the display server, while GNUstep draws and handles its own
UI elements.

> I don't, however, recall anyone saying, "Why would I try Fresco?  X is
> good enough."

X is more than good enough, and from my perspective it's better on a
technical level than Fresco is...but then, most other things are as well.
But hey, that last part is merely an opinion.