Fresco

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: Fresco
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:53:31 +0200

Hi,

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 03:37, Björn Gohla wrote:
> i do not know how flexible their widget set is in terms of making it look
> like *step.

Is that relevant? Personally, I don't care much about the look of the
widget set at all (as long as it does look halfway aesthetic). It's the
feel, and the look of the interfaces, that count.

> one perspective for gnustep could be to become the development language
> of choice for fresco apps. i contend that the nature of objc allows for
> a much more natural corba interface, than say c++.

No. The nature of ObjC allows for a much more natural Distributed-Objects
interface, which we have already, and which is totally different from
CORBA. I've been working with CORBA for a while; when I started out, I
wanted to eventually write a NSCORBAConnection. Right now, I don't think
that is possible while still retaining our standard DO semantics.

I wonder about this entire discussion. GNUstep on Fresco? Surely not for
the reason of greater acceptance, since Fresco has none. Not for the
reason of having a nicer interface to the windowing system either, since
Fresco doesn't have what GNUstep needs (WYSIWYG widget placement, Display
PostScript), and going DO to the windowing system would break the existing
gui/back structure (beyond repair, IMHO). I think this discussion is back
to what we had six years ago, when people were thinking about an
SVGAlib-based DPS server.

Of course, this being open source^W^Wfree software, everybody can and will
do as they please, but wouldn't it be better to have a cross-platform
system targeting Unix, Win32 and MacOSX before fragmenting on the Unix
platform?

Regards,
                --Björn
--
Dipl.-Inform. Björn Giesler, IAIM, University of Karlsruhe (TH)
See http://wwwiaim.ira.uka.de/users/giesler for information.

A society that will trade a little freedom for a little order will
lose both, and deserves neither.    --T. Jefferson
Support privacy. Mail me for my PGP/GPG public key.