Re: project goal Re: Release schedule

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: project goal Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:28:02 +0200

Willem Rein Oudshoorn wrote:
So if people really want to try to make /gui/ into a success and have
enough time the wise thing to do is to write an application.  This
application should fill in a real need.  A new mail client or a new
editor are very good to have and might persuade a few people, but if
you want to get more people involved it should be something that is
not readily available on other desktop systems.

The important and most difficult question is what those (killer) programs are ;-)

Mozilla works fine for me as a mailer and XEmacs as an editor. If I would have need for a "real" IDE, I think Eclipse would be the way to go, we have GIMP for painting and Evolution for Groupware, OpenOffice as the word processor.
Little left :-( Maybe an Access replacement.

So what are X11 users missing ? Eg I would suggest an OmniGraffle clone. That's something I really miss on X11. iChat is really cool too.

Maybe that's a way too, build simple applications, but a lot of them and in *high quality* (focus on quality instead of features like the other desktops often do). Eg Addressbook.app, iPhoto, iTunes, Mail on MacOSX are just fine, even though they don't have a lot of functionality. The "killer" aspect would be that you have *everything* required and everything at the same level of quality.

regards,
  Helge
Helge Hess                         Email:    helge.hess@skyrix.com
SKYRIX Software AG                 Tel:      +49-391-6623-0
Universitaetsplatz 12              Fax:      +49-391-6623-599
39104 Magdeburg, Germany           Internet: http://www.skyrix.com
Exchange your Exchange                http://developer.skyrix.com/