Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: John Stiles
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:44:59 -0800

On Feb 3, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Philip Mötteli wrote:

Mac developers have no need to contribute to GNUstep. We have a better version already.

Better? Foundation is sometimes very (!) annoying because of its CoreFoundation! Try e.g. to write a transparent persistence layer. Modestly said: very, very ugly. Or all those (void*) as instance variables. Impossible to handle. So on the one hand, you have a beautiful language like ObjC with a lot of runtime information and on the other hand you have Apple's Foundation implementation.
Distributed Objects are also better in GNUstep.
And if you have a problem, you debug lightning faster in GNUstep, because you trace through the source of "Foundation". Actually the only things, that are better on MOSX are AppKit and Xcode.

Come on. If you seriously think that most people would rather work with GNUstep than Cocoa, you are just deluding yourself.

I'm glad you like it, and it's a valuable thing to work on. But it's nowhere near as complete or robust as the real thing.