Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:04:25 +0100

On Feb 4, 2004, at 1:30 AM, Philip Mötteli wrote:
Most that I know who use Windows do it either because they have no knowledge of the alternatives, no money for something "better" or circumstances are just forcing them to use Windows.

:-)   So, what did I say? Do they work with Windows or not?
But the context was GNUstep and Cocoa: People do not use GNUstep, because they have a predefined opinion. An opinion which is not based on facts. Such biased opinions are the subject of marketing. Who's making the marketing for GNUstep?

It's the old discussion again, you forget or ignore one important issue here, which is that since GNUstep is no "desktop environment" you cannot just "see it work" like you can do with KDE or Mac OS X and so on. There is no easy way of installing GNUstep and a whole bunch of GNUstep apps so that they just work, interact, shine ..., so how can one know if it works or not, how can you make convincing marketing, as you say?

Additionally, why would a Cocoa developer want to port a GUI app from Mac OS X to GNUstep if at the end there is no environment in which the app would be integrated? To me this is a complete show stopper. IMHO the really exceptional part of OpenStep (and thus GNUstep as well as Cocoa) is the AppKit, and as long as the GNUstep implementation (incl. its integration with X) is not on a similar level as Apple's implementation, there is probably only a small percentage of developers who are interested in GNUstep as a cross platform solution.

cheers,

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert