Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:51:41 +0100

Philip Mötteli wrote:
You underestimate marketing. A performant marketing can even sell a product, that is and will never exist. Just think about vapor-ware.

No I don't, I agree with you about the power of marketing. Unfortunately, as you already mentioned, the GNUstep project is not very talented when it comes to marketing :-( Any ideas how to change this?

Additionally, why would a Cocoa developer want to port a GUI app from Mac OS X to GNUstep if at the end there is no environment in which the app would be integrated?

Well, I feel a huge interest here in using GNUstep as a porting means.
The problem is, as I already mentionned right in my first posting of the thread you mentionned, that GS needs to complete the Windows port as much as possible. That's actually the only frequent complaint I see. And

Interesting to hear, could you explain this huge interest a little more? I at least do not see any concrete interest of any Mac OS X developer to port real apps to GNUstep, so I wonder what you mean exactly?

Besides, porting alone is not sufficient. In fact the possibility for a port is just a prerequisite, there must be some potential user base on the "other platform" in order to justify a porting effort. Otherwise it just does not make sense to port, it would probably be a wasted effort. Unfortunately - for most Mac OS X developers - there is no or at least it seems that there is no such user base (marketing?). Again, what would be needed to change this fact (or perception)?

I do agree with that. I just don't agree with people complaining and not wanting to help with one line of code. And I don't think, that

Somestimes it is not possible to contribute code to a project due to whatever reason. Still it should be OK to give feedback or post to this list as long as it is constructive - it's discuss-gnustep after all!

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip/