Marketing GNUstep (was: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt)

From: Sascha Erni, -.rb
Subject: Marketing GNUstep (was: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt)
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:35:45 +0100

Hi there,

Philip Mötteli wrote:
Am 04.02.2004 um 12:51 schrieb Philippe C.D. Robert:
Unfortunately, as you already mentioned, the GNUstep project is not very talented when it comes to marketing :-( Any ideas how to change this?

That's not easy and I do not have the time to develop a marketing strategy for GS now. I'm not the expert in such things either, though I ahd some few classes about it.

Will be quite a challenge, mainly due to the nature of the GNUstep project. As has been pointed out before, GNUstep is more of an idea than a "product". Marketing a concept usually asks for a strong name / group / individual to be a) the responsible party, b) a figurehead or c) vocal spokespersons. Think Java / Sun, Linux / Linus. GNOME has good company backing, as does KDE.

I don't really see anything like this in the case of GNUstep, but then, I have only been around for 7 weeks so please do correct me. I'd need more time to get a grip on the GNUstep community, the who's who, companies using GNUstep etc.. No offence meant, but from my end the GNUstep project looks pretty much like a small group of idealists fighting a lost cause but not giving up just yet, which is fine by me. ;)

With the information I have at the moment (i.e. very little), marketing GNUstep with guerilla marketing and/or a Trojan horse approach might be the most viable option. It will be pretty much "image marketing" rather than product marketing, anyway. I'll have to think about it some more, but, well--it's not as if we could do print ads in Computer World or get a distributor to include GNUstep with the default installation. For the former you'll need lots of money and something you can "show" (or a big wig name you can use to do the marketing with, à la "Oy, look here, Lookhead runs GNUstep. Why don't you?"), the latter asks for killer applications and / or GNUstep "just working" right out of the box, ideally without getting in the way of the preferred desktop environment but STILL providing a service said desktop environments lack. And IMHO we're not there, just yet.

Feedback is welcome indeed. And are there any other marketing blokes on this list? Perhaps we could gang up and invest some serious brain time on this one. Might be fun.

93,
-Sascha.rb

--
"Obey the suit!" - Lutwyche