Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:57:35 -1100

On 2004-02-04 15:29:46 +0000 Chris Hanson <cmh@mac.com> wrote:

On Feb 4, 2004, at 8:28 AM, Nicolas Roard wrote:
One thing that amazed me is that people don't seem to care about the fact that your beloved Cocoa (or OSX for that matters) could very well be thrown by Apple (or
simply, Apple could just go out of business).

Apple's primary API for Mac OS X going forward is Cocoa. They're not going to throw it out. Every new Mac OS X application coming out of Apple is built using Cocoa. Most of their new technologies are implemented in Cocoa first.

Also, Apple's not going to "just go out of business." They're profitable and they have an extremely strong cash position for their size and burn rate. If you understand business, you'll see that it means they're going to be around for a while.

Sure. And frankly, I hope Apple will stay healthy and gain market shares... I really like what they actually are doing, and I think they could get a huge success soon.

_but_ , my remarks aren't unfounded anyway. It's still the risk with proprietary
software -- you could lose it. You don't know what will happens.

Anyway, my remark was just that, as GNUstep isn't _that_ far from beeing a good, real, alternative, it could be a good idea to try it and perhaps help the development if you can ... instead of just moaning about its current speculated state.

And of course stating that "GNUstep is not going to give me a comparable "ease-of-development" as Cocoa/AppKit, or even half as easy" is imho very wrong,
that's why I originally answered.

--
Nicolas Roard