Re: Marketing, was: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Marketing, was: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:36:37 +0000

On 2004-02-09 11:36:58 +0000 Philippe C.D. Robert <philippe.robert@gmx.net> wrote:

What GNUstep is IMHO lacking is GNUstep related stories, reports or reviews published in non-GNUstep related forums and websites. I think that only a few people are aware of the current state of the project because almost nobody talks or writes about it!

I think part of the reason for this is what I mentioned earlier: there's no user-friendly summary of the current work written for those of us who don't track the code. Bringing that back would be the biggest single benefit, allowing writers to write about GNUstep news. Help fill my lists of developers and would-be reporters if you can, please.

Another part of this is a corollary of the "snowball effect" or "critical mass". You can grow pretty fast once you start rolling, but you have to put the effort in to start rolling before you grow. In other words: at the moment, most editors don't seek out GNUstep stories because there aren't many people offering them, so they think there's no interest. I know that's fairly weak logic, but it's how it seems to work in this chaotic market. We need to nail the "easy" outlets first.

I'll write more about this later, if someone wants.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at