Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: John Stiles
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:33:07 -0800

On Feb 3, 2004, at 4:33 PM, Philip Mötteli wrote:

Few Mac developers are going to be interested in working on a crappier version of something we already have.

Apart from AppKit: Please give me some examples! Or are you just talking out of the blue?

I think this is where the Cocoa fans are diverging from the GNUstep fans.

For me, AppKit is what makes Cocoa magic. I could care less about the Cocoa containers--I am comfortable with STL and don't really get a kick out of the cool features of, say, NSArray. For me, Cocoa without AppKit is entirely uninteresting. I like Interface Builder, and "springy" views, and dialog controls that "just work" like you expect, and control-dragging around to make my own actions and outlets. AFAICS GNUstep is not going to give me a comparable "ease-of-development" as Cocoa/AppKit, or even half as easy.

If you are a developer who really wants a cool set of containers and stuff like that, then by all means investigate GNUstep. But frankly I think STL will work just as well, and look better on your resume ;) You are welcome to disagree here and I'm sure there are legitimate reasons to prefer either one, but things like containers just aren't cool enough to make me want to use GNUstep.

PS I could care less how CoreFoundation works under the covers. The fact that GNUstep is in Objective-C from top to bottom is not a selling point for me. If anything, it makes me think that Apple's implementation will probably be a lot faster :) Objective-C is meant to be easy to write, but I don't care how the guts of Cocoa are written; I just want them to be fast and stable!