Re: Marketing, was: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: Marketing, was: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:36:58 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
"Philippe C.D. Robert" <philippe.robert@gmx.net> wrote:
Unfortunately, as you already mentioned, the GNUstep project is not very=20
talented when it comes to marketing :-( Any ideas how to change this?

Maybe not describing the current helpers as "not very talented" would help
motivate them and attract new marketing helpers?  No-one is going to
volunteer to help a bunch of sourpusses who just flame them in threads with
subject lines that marketers probably won't read.  The people marketing
free software projects that I have had the pleasure of working with
usually have too little time, rather than lacking any skill.

Sorry, I did not want to demotivate any of the current helpers, this was not my intention at all (and in fact I did not phrase it that way, but maybe my English is too bad for such subtleties).

Personally, I'd be happy if developers wrote a little more about what they
finished, and some people volunteered to collect, summarise and upload it
to the web. Once upon a time, there were weekly summaries of developments.
Can we start them again?

This would be excellent, indeed.

First, I think we need two lists of people:
1. who are the active developers and which will write a blog for us?
2. who is willing to help blog the work of 1 non-blogging developer?

Please reply...

What GNUstep is IMHO lacking is GNUstep related stories, reports or reviews published in non-GNUstep related forums and websites. I think that only a few people are aware of the current state of the project because almost nobody talks or writes about it!

My $0.02....

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert