Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:08:55 +0200

In article <mailman.1744.1092836320.2011.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Marciano Siniscalchi <marciano@northwestern.edu> wrote:

> However, have people considered adopting one of the better icon sets
> used by the Gnome and KDE projects? In particular, the "standard" Gnome
> iconset, and the the Bluecurve/Wonderland/Redhat and Crystal iconsets
> are both professionally-designed and very complete.
>
> Even if the longer-term objective is to develop a distinctive look (and
> I'm all for it), it would probably not be too hard to start by packaging
>   one of the above iconsets for GNUstep. Incidentally, one advantage
> would  be improving the coexistence with other applications...

 Not that I'm important here (I'm just talkative), but if you pick an
existing theme, use a low-profile one. I.e. definitely not the default
KDE or GNOME icon sets. Those would simply cause GNUstep screen shots to
be mistaken for being GNOME or KDE.

 But there are lots of themes for GNOME and KDE, so if you find a good
theme for those that has nice icons, I don't see why you couldn't use
that. Who knows, the themer might even be happy that their theme has
been accepted as the default for a distribution, and if you ask nicely
and flatter them some, they might even add some missing icons, badges or
whatever?

> BTW, the new theme looks quite promising!

 IMHO, it looks a little like Aqua... :-) Could you maybe get rid of the
circles around the widgets and make the title bar a darker grey? That'd
give it a "NeXT meets Aqua" look which, with the right icons, could look
really neat.

 I don't have anything against Aqua, but I'm getting kinda bored that
every Linux box I see these days has a MacOS X knockoff theme on it.
There are so many nice themes for Linux...

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
http://www.zathras.de