Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:46:09 +0200

In article <mailman.2133.1093032870.2011.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

> why not, yes. Difficulty is to find a good theme ... if anybody has an
> idea...
> Problem is, I know some themes that are nice, but I doubt they have the
> OpenStep look we want :-)
> like http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/677/ or
> http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/675/ ...

 They are definitely well done, but I suspect it wouldn't be too good to
have such unique styles in the default theme. Especially the
hand-drawn-looking theme would make it very hard for programmers to come
up with matching application icons. A simpler, more generic theme might
be a better choice here.

> er, well, please people, try to agree :-) some told me it was XP-ish
> (?), now
> it's Aqua-ish ... :-)
> Honestly, I don't think it's much aqua. The only thing like aqua is the
> "halo" for
> focused widgets, but that's all.

 And the title bars with the white gradient. BTW -- a few suggestions on
that theme?

- the title bar is one pixel too short at the right edge. It should
finish on the same column as the window edge
- It'd look a tad better if the title bar's bottom line and the window
frame's top line overlapped. The way it is now, we get a four-pixel line
where the two lines meet. If they overlapped, it would be two pixels
like everywhere else, which looks a lot prettier.
- The widget icons kind of exceed the grey circles that are used as the
outline for the widgets. This looks as if it was a bug. Either make it
more obvious, or fix things so the circle lies outside the icon.
- Just for completeness I'll repeat this: If you make the title bar more
NeXTish by making it grey instead of white, it hearkens back to NeXT,
while having this hint of Aqua that also makes people think of Cocoa.

> Anyway, there will be more than this theme, so..

 Well, I personally like this theme. It is very simple, while still
looking 3Dish and modern. A little clean-up and an icon set to go with
it, and I'd be happy. But of course we should probably ask people who
were in favor of keeping the original NeXT look whether they're okay
with this. I'm easy to placate if the theme isn't too fancy. Not to
mention that I don't have a GNUstep installation right now.

Cheers, and thanks for the good work,
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de