Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:30:57 +0100

Le 21 août 04, à 12:46, M. Uli Kusterer a écrit :

In article <mailman.2133.1093032870.2011.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

why not, yes. Difficulty is to find a good theme ... if anybody has an
idea...
Problem is, I know some themes that are nice, but I doubt they have the
OpenStep look we want :-)
like http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/677/ or
http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/675/ ...

They are definitely well done, but I suspect it wouldn't be too good to
have such unique styles in the default theme.

Yes, that's what I was pointing.. I think we could set up the mechanism for simply changing the default icons set by the user; and we could probably package some
of theses themes available on art.gnome.org and kde-looks.org ...
_But_, finding a good looking, original, default theme for GNUstep will be hard.

Especially the
hand-drawn-looking theme would make it very hard for programmers to come
up with matching application icons. A simpler, more generic theme might
be a better choice here.

I agree :-)

er, well, please people, try to agree :-) some told me it was XP-ish
(?), now
it's Aqua-ish ... :-)
Honestly, I don't think it's much aqua. The only thing like aqua is the
"halo" for
focused widgets, but that's all.

 And the title bars with the white gradient.

yes that's right.. :)

BTW -- a few suggestions on
that theme?

- the title bar is one pixel too short at the right edge. It should
finish on the same column as the window edge
- It'd look a tad better if the title bar's bottom line and the window
frame's top line overlapped. The way it is now, we get a four-pixel line
where the two lines meet. If they overlapped, it would be two pixels
like everywhere else, which looks a lot prettier.

yep, I made the titlebar very quickly, just to test the look. It definitely needs
some corrections :)

- The widget icons kind of exceed the grey circles that are used as the
outline for the widgets. This looks as if it was a bug. Either make it
more obvious, or fix things so the circle lies outside the icon.

hmm.. you mean, for the icons in the open panel for example ?
that's not as easily fixed though; I can't modify the button's frame
(well I can but it leads to many other problems :), so the only thing I can do is probably to draw the grey circles on top of the icons (or reducing the clipping,
which is kinda the same result)

- Just for completeness I'll repeat this: If you make the title bar more
NeXTish by making it grey instead of white, it hearkens back to NeXT,
while having this hint of Aqua that also makes people think of Cocoa.

Well, it is gray :-) but ok, I'll test a darker gray.

Anyway, there will be more than this theme, so..

 Well, I personally like this theme. It is very simple, while still
looking 3Dish and modern. A little clean-up and an icon set to go with
it, and I'd be happy. But of course we should probably ask people who
were in favor of keeping the original NeXT look whether they're okay
with this. I'm easy to placate if the theme isn't too fancy. Not to
mention that I don't have a GNUstep installation right now.

Well, I'm not sure that this theme should be the default one. Depends of what people thinks, but I think more people will still prefer the default OpenStep one :)
Anyway, it will be easy to change the look using themes, so..

thanks

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke