Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:05:01 +0200

Le 20 août 04, à 19:10, Banlu Kemiyatorn a écrit :

Hi Banlu,

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:47:13 +0100, Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

hm well... I'm not sure we want to have something as detailed...
and I'm not sure I have ideas about all that :)
Could you perhaps write something about what you'd want ?

I ain't sure. But a guideline should cover at least on how thick the outline
of the icons should be, shouldn't it?

Well, I think it is the job of the icon designer, it will create a look which will be the basis, the example for the other icon designers which will create GNUstep applications related icons.

Why ? we plan to support them with IconKit.. (well, technically it
will probably use
an ImageRep, but the point is that will be transparent for
applications getting their
icons via the IconKit)

The problem isn't about the rendering engine but the look of the icon
that will be different. (it would be hard to make an svg that looks exactly
like a bitmap image)

I agree with you on this point and we discussed that with Nicolas; in my opinon we should create icons which are bitmap images, they will look way better than strictly vectorial images, but from a technological point of view it would be nice to support SVG because it could be useful time to time (may be for third parties icons sets) or in the future. For me, the SVG support is not a priority, I personally don't plan to include such support in the first version of the IconKit unless Nicolas want to do it.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr