Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:20:09 +0200

In article <mailman.2118.1093022124.2011.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Banlu Kemiyatorn <object@gmail.com> wrote:

> I ain't sure. But a guideline should cover at least on how thick the outline
> of the icons should be, shouldn't it?

 Is this an important point for usability? I'd suggest waiting for this
until we have a default set. Once a default set has been designed, we'll
see what the designer has done, and then other items would be made "to
fit", and the guidelines would be adjusted after the fact.

 One important thing, though: Decide on some standard sizes. In the
early days of GUIs, some systems allowed arbitrarily-sized icons. But a
scaled icon rarely looks as good as an icon designed for a particular
size. So, decide on default sizes for desktop icons at which they *must*
look decent (64x64 and 128x128 are very popular on MacOS X, with 32x32
for toolbar icons -- anybody know what sizes Windows does these days?).

> The problem isn't about the rendering engine but the look of the icon
> that will be different. (it would be hard to make an svg that looks exactly
> like a bitmap image)

 I'd leave that to the designer. Maybe someone will eventually create a
theme where everything is done in SVG. I'd definitely leave the support
for that in IconKit (if it's already in there), though I wouldn't make
it top priority right now. If it has any show-stopper-bugs, I'd say pull
it, but it's definitely a nice feature to have available.

Cheers,
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de