Re[4]: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[4]: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:22:33 +0100

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:48:16 +0000 David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
DC>| I think Thom's comments are a little harsh, but I have to concur with
DC>| the underlying idea behind them.  I am not exactly an Objective-C
DC>| neophyte - around 20K lines of code in the Étoilé repository are my
DC>| contribution and I have no problems digging through the -gui source to
DC>| find why my code isn't working - but I have twice tried and failed to
DC>| use GSWeb.

OK here are main steps:
* Install GNUstep core and gdl2 components
* Install Apache 2.x
* Download svn current version (see above)
* Install Apache2 / GNUstepWeb adaptor module (see GSWAdaptors/Apache/INSTAL in
GNUstepWeb Tree)
* Setup Adaptor configuration (see GSWAdaptors/Apache/INSTAL)
* Build and install GNUstepWeb (see INSTALL in GNUstepWeb Tree)
* Build and install Examples/hello (see Examples/hello/INSTALL)
* Run hello
* Point your browser to: http://localhost/GSWeb/hello.gswa

If some thing fail, please write to gswhackers AT lists.turbocat DOT net
I'll try to monitor it more often or may be someone else may help.

DC>| I find GNUstepWeb to be a source of incredible amounts of
DC>| frustration.  Looking at things like SOGO and other WebObjects
DC>| applications make it seem so tantalising, and yet it is always
DC>| slightly out of reach.  I don't have WebObjects 4.5 and I don't even
DC>| have a way of getting hold of a copy.  Neither do many other people.
DC>| If the only way of using GSW is to have prior experience with an 8-
DC>| year-old piece of proprietary software that cost $699 on release then
DC>| it probably already has all of the users it ever will and has no
DC>| future other than to fade into obscurity which seems like a colossal
DC>| waste.  If someone who knows GNUstepWeb well would just spend the two
DC>| or three hours required to write an introductory tutorial, its
DC>| usefulness would be increased dramatically.

Yes, it would be great :-) Helas I'm very bad in a least two domains: teaching
and speaking english.

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - ORANGE CONCEPT <mguesdon@orange-concept.com>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0997  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998