Re: Re[2]: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:04:22 +0100

On 23.11.2007, at 19:48, David Chisnall wrote:
Looking at things like SOGO and other WebObjects applications make it seem so tantalising

Just for the record, SOGo (http://www.scalableogo.org/) is NOT a WebObjects application. It makes heavy use of (is built around) SOPE specific REST features (SoObjects) and is far from being compatible with WO (though it does reuse a lot of WO concepts). It doesn't even use the ORM features of EOF, just the adaptor and a content storage framework called GCS.

Ie you definitely can't compile SOGo against gstep-web.
[and yes, SOPE specific stuff is even less documented than WO ;->]

But really, you will never get an ObjC framework as easy to learn as a framework built on interpreted languages, be it Seaside, RoR or Zope. If you start with ObjC, you always need to deal with RC, with makefiles, with GCC, etc etc. Notably this *does* have significant advantages. You get much higher speed, you get "native" Unix servers instead of something running in some "VM", etc etc. The cool thing about ObjC is that its probably the most low level very high level language ;-) [Note: ObjC 2.0 GC might make it a lot easier, but only if GNU manages to provide that too. I think its a major turning point.]

Documentation. Hm, I think its really hard. I always found it hard to explain why a WO component works different to a PHP page because the huge advantages live in small details. Probably it comes down to the fact that developers are not good at documenting stuff for others :-) You push the Seaside documentation, but the ZopeBook is SUPER GREAT too, and the RoR tutorials are not bad either. I completely agree that good documentation is crucial if you want to make a framework succeed widely. UNLESS you want a built an exact clone (which probably is true for gstep-gui and gstep-web). In this case the developers can focus on compat instead of docs.

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess