Re: FOSDEM Arrangements

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: FOSDEM Arrangements
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:41:18 +0000

On 13 Dec 2010, at 15:24, Quentin Mathé wrote:

>> I poked DBUSKit a bit and it definitely looks like a thing that's worth
>> advertising and some demos.  If Niels doesn't want to give a long talk,
>> maybe we could have a few 'system integration' lightning talks and have
>> other people talk about the UXTheme / GNOME Theme stuff and anything else of
>> relevance?
>
> Agreed. Having a talk about theming even if it's short sounds important, at
> least to show GNUstep is really motivated into supporting high-quality themes
> and integration in various environments.
> The DBusKit fits well in this perspective and the app example Niels wrote
> seemed pretty exciting to me. Few yours ago, I wrote some DBus code (using
> the basic C lib and the glib-based lib) and it wasn't a completely pleasant
> experience.

So, can we schedule an hour for four 15 minute talks (10 minutes + setup /
questions) about using GNUstep with other environments?  Anyone else want to
add some topics for this?

>>> - EtoileText (… I'm especially curious about the possibility to leverage
>>> OMeta to write the tree transform rules)
>>> - LanguageKit Progresses
>>
>> I could talk about either of these.  Most of the changes in LanguageKit
>> since last year have been polishing off rough edges and a few optimisations
>> (most of these can also apply to Objective-C, but because it's so hard to
>> drive them from GNUstep Make we have the amusing situation that Smalltalk is
>> a lot faster than Objective-C for some things).
>>
>> EtoileText might be of interest to other people.  For anyone who hasn't been
>> following the Étoilé blog, I'm using it to generate the ePub version of my
>> upcoming book from LaTeX sources, complete with clang-driven syntax
>> highlighting for the code samples (which looks much nicer than the LaTeX
>> listings package, since it can distinguish typedefs, macros, and so on).
>
> If I had to make a choice, I'd rather pick EtoileText since I know close to
> nothing about it. But that's my personal preference, I suppose people who
> attend to the talks might be more interested to hear about LanguageKit and
> recent progresses such as EScript. It's more trendy in a way ;-)

I'd be happy to talk about EtoileText, and maybe a little bit about
SourceCodeKit at the same time.

EScript is not all that interesting.  It's a tech demo rather than something
I'd recommend people actually use.  I've got some out-of-tree optimisations for
it that should bring it closer to speed parity with Smalltalk, but I've not
finished them because I'm not really interested in it as a language (I'm much
more keen to finish ObjMeta, which I also haven't had time for...).

David

--
This email complies with ISO 3103