Re: MacPorts GNUstep

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: MacPorts GNUstep
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:37:20 +0200

On 14. tra. 2011., at 19:17, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> 2011/4/14 Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com>:
>> I took the existing portfiles and adapted that; something wrong with that?
>> :-)
>
>> Hosting on SVN is also a good solution for me, since I have an SVN server
>> set up already.
>
> Have you tried using a svn checkout as your local repository?

This is not what I meant. I meant I want to share stuff with other people. With
Debian it is possible to set up an additional repository, which is an often
used functionality in case a) developers want to share bleeding edge packages,
b) software could never be included in Debian.

But nonetheless, using SVN to checkout a local copy of portfiles, and then
using those locally sounds better when producing patches to Portfiles. Thanks!

> sources.conf file at ${prefix}/etc/macports/ says:
>  "To prevent a source from synchronizing when `port sync` is used,
> append [nosync] at the end"
> so my guess is "port sync" will update all sources, unless said not to.

I suppose you are suggesting this so I can update just from the local
portfiles, to avoid syncing with macports rsync'd repositories? :-)

>> I'd be very interested in something like this, but I wanted to have a
>> sort-of-a-bleeding edge set of packages that I could safely play with,
>> deploy to other people and see what happens, without affecting the stuff in
>> macports.
>
> Those would be reviewed before being committed, I don't see a problem with
> that.
> When you can submit a patch feel free to do so on the Trac.

Thanks, I'll do so!

>> I  haven't updated the files in Dropbox with gnustep-back patch
>> that Eric has provided in this thread.
>
> Eric's patch is 0.17.0 while -backend stable is listed as 0.18.0, I'd
> stay with stable.

That's not how it looks over here; Portfile in Macports that I just sync'd
refers to 0.17.0.

I'd like to just patch stuff to work with current version before upgrading to
actual current versions (for example recently released 1.22 base, 2.6.0 make,
etc). Once things work, then upgrading can be done. Eric has already tested
updating and with previous versions gnustep-base didn't work. Since 1.22 is now
released, we could try this again.

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net - http://ivan.vucica.net/