Re: gnustep-using game available as public beta

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: gnustep-using game available as public beta
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:18:56 +0100

On 16.11.2011 03:55, Julian Mayer wrote:
hey gnusteppers

the reason why i've been filing gnustep bugs like a madman the past few weeks
is that i've been porting a game from the mac to linux.

i want to thank everyone involved for your great fixes and help getting my app
running (and deployed).

despite the encountered bugs, the experience has been much better than i expected,
thanks to your phenomenal support. i can personally confirm that SVN trunk is now
exactly 1000% percent better for porting cocoa code than just a few weeks ago. i
would also like to remark that porting a modern cocoa codebase would not have been
possible without david's work on libobjc2/clang&  blocks support. thanks.

if any of you wants to have a look at what i've been building, i've been
porting the game CoreBreach:

http://corebreach.corecode.at/

here is a binary package of the first linux beta with a bundled patched gnustep
trunk version (32&  64 bit):

http://corebreach.corecode.at/CoreBreach-1.1-beta-linux.tar.bz2

if it doesn't run look at the readme for the dependencies. if there are bugs in
the package, i'd be happy to hear about them ;-)

FYI, the main game "launcher" interface is using gnustep, then the actual
gameplay uses a fullscreen SDL/OpenGL context, only using gnustep-base (and blocks for
animation). after the game finishes the results/highscores are again displayed using
gnustep/gui.

i'd be happy to make the full version available to you once it is finished.
just contact me privately. BTW, there is definite hope for getting the game
code open sourced later on (about 10kloc game, 10kloc engine), if it ever
breaks even.

bye, julian

p.s. sorry the beta 1 has severely degraded texture quality. final version will
look exactly 4 times as good.

Thank you for offering us this free beta. Although I am not a race game person I tried to play with it and horribly failed. Should I try to hid these gadgets on the track or avoid them? How do I not bump in the walls all the time? (or fall of the track if there aren't any walls?)
But the game in it self is quite nice.

On my machine there wasn't any sound, most likely I am missing on of the required. And I sometimes (when I managed to accelerate a bit) had black streaks in the display. Most likely my main graphics card, a Radeon HD 3200, isn't able to process that much data. I have a more powerful secondary graphics card but up to now I only managed to get it working on Windows (and Windows now only works with that making it really hard to switch between the two systems. If anybody knows a solution to that problem...)

I also got a few messages from the application and finally a breakdown after finishing the track three times:

2011-11-16 09:31:41.718 CoreBreach64[5006] Notice: enabling FSAA: 4
2011-11-16 09:35:45.683 CoreBreach64[5006] autorelease called without pool for object (0x7f1d6c000918) of class NSDoubleNumber in thread <NSThread: 0x7f1d6c001d68> 2011-11-16 09:44:28.773 CoreBreach64[5006] autorelease called without pool for object (0x7f1d6c000e98) of class NSDoubleNumber in thread <NSThread: 0x7f1d6c001d68>
WARNING thread 0x8653e38 terminated without calling +exit!
2011-11-16 09:49:46.244 CoreBreach64[5006] autorelease called without pool for object (0x3814228) of class NSDoubleNumber in thread <NSThread: 0x7f1d6c001d68>
WARNING thread 0x6b40418 terminated without calling +exit!
2011-11-16 09:53:10.759 CoreBreach64[5006] autorelease called without pool for object (0x8390968) of class NSDoubleNumber in thread <NSThread: 0x7f1d6c001d68>
WARNING thread 0x99bae88 terminated without calling +exit!
Assertion 'pa_atomic_load(&e->pool->stat.exported_size) >= (int) b->length' failed at pulsecore/memblock.c:1106, function pa_memexport_process_release(). Aborting.
                                Abgebrochen

And from the colour selection I get the message:

Which is definitely my fault. I keep on ignoring it as only David's runtime complains about this issue.

The start up interface looks surprisingly well for GNUstep. How did you do the gradients in the buttons? Is this already in the Silver theme? And for the first time I was annoyed to see the small windows we use to determine the window border sizes when starting the first GNUstep application in a session. We really need to do better than that.

Are you aware that when clicking on the icon in the about window you get the GNUstep memory panel? You may (or may not) want to disable that feature in the release product.

One small hint, It would be better if the beta already started up with playable settings. Now you get all these messages that in the beta you are not allowed to use this and that setting. Let the user experience these later on when they are already hooked to the game.

Hope this feedback helps you a bit. You helped us a lot with your bug reports.

Fred