Re: This thing we called GNUstep (Re: Kickstarter was not successful...

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: This thing we called GNUstep (Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 12:17:48 -0600

In article <mailman.9838.1387574481.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Pirmin Braun <pb@intars.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:41:41 -0600
> schrieb Doc O'Leary <droleary@7usenet2013.subsume.com> :
>
> > I would go farther and say a complete rebranding is in order.  For the
> > vast majority of people, OpenStep no longer has meaning, making the
> > current naming of GNUstep a bit cumbersome to explain.
>
> today you'd better name it GNUcoa :-)

Well, starting completely from scratch would require even more thought.
I would lean away from anything that is overly Apple-branded, such as
Cocoa, because it's as out of our control as the NeXT naming was.
Better would be something like "Objective-GNU", which hits the
underlying technology more.

Still not good from a user perspective, though, because they essentially
have no exposure to those things.  It again all comes down to the
question of what the project really, really wants to be.  Right now, it
is a very inside-the-box, non-differently-thought reimplementation of
what Apple is doing.  Bigger aims would require a bigger rebranding.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,