Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:26:27 +0000

On 22 Dec 2013, at 17:36, Doc O'Leary <droleary@7usenet2013.subsume.com> wrote:

> In article <mailman.9862.1387588676.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
> Germán Arias <germanandre@gmx.es> wrote:
>
>>> Again with the stupid rush to implement things . . .
>>
>> Remember that, in general, write free software is a hobby. Just to see
>> what happens.
>
> That's no reason to abandon science.

This refrain seems to be a troll ... the person seeming to abandon science here
is YOU.  You keep talking about how people are being unscientific and how you
are scientific, but have presented nothing to support that idea, giving the
appearance that you believe that being 'scientific' means agreeing with you.

Now, I can see that this *could* be a scientific endeavour on your part:
eg. you hypothesised  that deliberately goading people on a mailing list would
spur them into action, and the action would be beneficial to your purposes, and
now you are testing that hypothesis.

However, this seems unnecessary as that sort of experiment has been done many
times before and psychology (which might be a science) has already discovered
that there are generally better ways of motivating people.

Take for instance your false assertion that the GNUstep project is hostile to
OSX users.  A better (ie generally tried, tested, proven more efficient) than
the negative approach would have been to take note of the preponderance of
evidence that it's osx friendly, and propose ways of making it even friendlier.
 Buried in this thread is the suggestion that OSX users find it hard to get
started;  it's a good point.
Perhaps we should have a prominent bit on the website saying that OSX users can
most easily use gnustep for cross-platform development by installing a virtual
machine on their OSX system ... this is so obvious to us old-timers that we
don't notice that it might need to be stated.  To make it easier we might
supply a VM image, eg debian,  for a freely available virtualisation engine
that works on OSX (perhaps you have the skills to provide that?).

You have raised a few good points, in this discussion, and while it's true that
they've all been discussed before, that doesn't mean that re-raising them is
not worthwhile.  You have ideas to offer, so why not offer them in a spirit of
positive criticism?

There's a fairly clear statement of what GNUstep is (implied goal) on the
website (the overview at the top of the home page and the first link from the
page!), yet you keep saying there needs to be discussion and agreement on a
goal.
Possibly you didn't read it, possibly you did but are trolling, but I guess
most likely you just don't like that statement.  That's legitimate enough (I'm
no longer sure I like it myself), so you could seek to point out the advantages
of modifying/improving that in some way.  Surely that would be more effective
than saying there is no goal.

In general, providing positive criticism has been scientifically proven to work
best (natural psychological resistance means that an attempt at neutral is
effectively negative).

Go on, you know you can be scientific ... embrace a positive attitude :-)