Re: Call to stop contributing

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Call to stop contributing
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 20:20:47 +0100

Hello,

Graham Lee wrote:
> I observe the evidence that RMS has indeed stepped back from such
> statements, e.g.
> https://www.stallman.org/archives/2019-jul-oct.html#14_September_2019_(Sex_between_an_adult_and_a_child_is_wrong).
> The GNU kind communication guidelines
> (https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html#f1) declare
> political discussions other than the advocacy of free software
> off-topic in GNU project fora such as this list, so I will not enter
> into that topic here. However, I will make myself available to
> Johannes, RMS, and to Greg and the GNUstep maintainers for
> constructive discussion via email if they wish to have that discussion
> privately.

Since this discussion has can become very politcal and personal, I too
prefer to continue further discussion off-line.

I write here only that I distanciate myself from Johannes' and Niels'
position. I find the reasons hypocritical and the online petition linked
by Johannes quite shady and debatable! But this mailing list is not up
to for that..
Actually looking at some projects that subscribe it, I am happy to
distantiate from them, since they have a really questionable concept of
freedom (as "technolgoical freedom", further below).

> On the specific topic of the continued stewardship of the GNUstep
> project, I just want to express my position that dissociation from the
> GNU project is not proportionate nor desirable in my opinion.

As a core developer, I want to voice my opinion too. I too find it
absurd to "dissociate" from this project, not proportionate neither to
the Richard just asking to support and advertise the GCC compiler nor to
the allegations cited in the "petition".
This does not mean I back all Dr. Stallman's statement, but as Dale put
it, it is "blackmailing" the FSF. A kind of dictatorship of the
"political correctness" which only hides under the concept of freedom.

GNUstep and GNU stand for me for freedom in technology and access to it.
Of course it can become politcal, because politics may "clash" with
these coals, but let's not turn it around and take it as a political or
social institution which presses you whom to hate or love.

But let's take the discussion off-line.

I will find time is better spent coding: improving and enhancing our
Frameworks and Applications and that is what I will do this evening.

Regards,

Ing. Riccardo Mottola

long-time GNUstep Application developer, contributor and maintainer