Re: ANN: GNUstep Windows MSVC Toolchain Scripts

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep Windows MSVC Toolchain Scripts
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 22:10:56 -0400

  > as long as GCC considers ObjC only as a second class citizen this might be
problematic. Search for:

  > GCC "Objective-C is not release-critical.“

  > in the GCC-Mailing List Archives, if you don’t know what I mean. Bugs don’t
get fixed, features (modern ObjC) don’t get implemented, parts of the GCC team
are hostile towards ObjC.

This shows me what I should mention to them as one side of the problem.

They are saying this because they don't have a LOT of users who are (1) caring
what happens and (2) offering to help fix things.

Their feelings are understandable, and so are yours.  However, the two
together result in a bad situation in which GCC and GNUstep don't
entirely work together.

I can't tell anyone to work on anything, but I'd like to use what
influence I have to try to correct the situation.

First we need to get the bugs fixed.  Then we need to add the
Objective C 2.0 features.  It may be necessary to raise funds to pay
someone -- I don't know from where, but many in the free software
movement HATE Apple and might contribute to this.

--
Dr Richard Stallman