Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU task list

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU task list
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:46:05 +0100

S11001001 <address@hidden> wrote:

> One of the problems with the GNU task list, I believe, is that
> it is not very prominent. However, I think that this sort of
> thing could be very useful to the DotGNU project, were it
> implemented well.

I agree... this sounds great.  Of course a good implementation
will not only require a webserver and some scripts, but also a
real human being who takes the initiative in asking people to
add "todo" items and then keep them up-to-date.

> I have written a preliminary list of TODOs for DotGNU. The
> idea is that it starts out with generalizations, and subitems
> are added as people take the projects, for requests for help
> in certain areas of the code. This could encourage people to
> find an area that suits them; of course, at this stage,
> there's something for everyone.

I think the DotGNU vision is big enough that there'll always be
something for everyone.

> It should be centrally coordinated, so people don't have to go
> off in search of individual project TODOs for work. This is
> the idea of a meta-project, coordinated effort, no?

Absolutely :-)

> Oh yeah, I wrote it in HTML, but a texinfo version,
> implementing the list as a table of contents, linking to nodes
> with more information, might be useful.  (Barry, I find I
> actually enjoy texinfo. Am I weird? ;)

Are you volunteering to lead and maintain the "DotGNU task list"
project? :-)

> Please also note that this is VERY ROUGH, and not as defined
> as a true tasklist should be. For example, some of the details
> should be hashed out in the nodes, and the meaning of some of
> these clarified, and someone needs to go through the current
> system looking for TODOs...no end to the tasks!

Generally, I like this very much.

Let me try to help move this forward a bit with a couple of comments...

>    <li>write a standard library (texinfo node contains a short version of
> pnetlib/HACKING)</li>

How about this?

TODO: Write specifics of a plan to use as much as reasonably
possible of the class library maintained my the Mono project (to
which apparantly Intel and HP are planning to make significant
contributions).

>    <li>write a GNU extension to the library, possibly using an existing GNU
> library for support (multimedia, GUI, etc.)

Let's not forget that we need strong crypto stuff, too.

>   <li>PhpGroupWare (you know, this may be just me, but I haven't heard much
> about this project, and maybe this could attract some coders)</li>

phpGW is well and alive -- on their own mailing list :-)

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com