dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Timeout during fixating

From: Helmar Waiczies
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Timeout during fixating
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:16:55 +0200

> > did u try spezifiing write-speed with "speed=1" ?
>
> I try speed=2 but it doesn't help.

i wouldnt try more than speed=1 fo DVDs before u figure out the
problem.

> > im using, my DVD-Recorder (Pioneer A04) is channel 0, id 1, lun 0
> >
> > dvdrecord speed=1 -dao -v dev=0,1,0 /dir/to/image.iso

anyway, use always -dao (disk-at-once) to avoid problems playing back the DVD
in standalone-player.

> > an other possibility is DMA, is it on or off ??
> > check with hdparm /dev/...
>
> /dev/hdd:
>  IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>
> Is this ok ?

maybe set all to default (0) and try again, could be any of these if its
not 100% supported by the drive, ummaskirq give sometimes problems,
so DMA if its not supported, same for IO_support. just try it out.
maybe u have to check the other devices as well.

> Some more lines from my burning tests:
>

> trackno=0
> BURN-Free is ON.
> Performing OPC...
> Sending CUE sheet...
> dvdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150
> Starting new track at sector: 0
> Track 01:   1 of 3757 MB written (fifo  96%).
>
> It seems to be a geneal problem with my drive because if i try to burn a

seems to be ok til here, when du u get the timeout, exaclty, does it finish
burning the disk, or it just stops here ?!

> normal cd i get the timeouts !!!

thats odd, so more than likely the hdparm-settings, cant think of anything
else right now, or the drive is just not supported at all ?!
if im not mistaken the TAC DV W50E is exactly like the Pioneer A05 except the
firmware. did u update the firmware ?
I did an update for my A04 to 2xall and RPC1. result was that i couldnt burn
under linux, it always used speed=2. so i went back to RPC1 only and it works
now.
do u have a win9x/2k on ur system as well ?? just to try out if the burner
works there, or works at all ?

> On which ide-port is your dvd drive connected ?
>
> Is it master or slave ?

my A04 DVD-RW drive is secondary/slave so /dev/hdd

ive a  "normal" TEAC CD-RW 24x as master on /dev/hdc

> Thanks,
>
> Dirk

np ;)

cu
Helmar

--
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight