Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:25:07 +0900

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:
> Anyway, the bar for a programming editor is much higher now than when
> I started using Emacs.  Nowadays intelligent completion, API help,
> browsing, and refactoring are the baseline.  Emacs does some of these
> in some modes -- elisp is the best example; lisp-complete-symbol and
> eldoc are quite nice -- but for most modes this stuff is either
> missing, or the defaults are wrong.

I've actually used Eclipse a lot for Java programming, and it has many
nice features (many of which you list).  However, it's definitely a
mixed bag -- the UI is _so_ baroque and often confusing, and in general
so "rigid" (not to mention slowwwwww) that often I found myself wishing
for Emacs again.  A mixed bag.

My wish is that Emacs gets "Emacsy" versions of Eclipse's best features,
not that Emacs becomes anything like Eclipse (which has a truly awful
user interface...).

-Miles

--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Gandhi