Re: Next release

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 18:38:39 +0900

>> <address@hidden> said:
>>
>> > Looking at src/ChangeLog there are pages after pages of changes
>> for > the Mac, which don't look at all like minor changes...
>>
>> You're seeing the changes that have been accumulated for a
>> relatively long period because I restricted the changes between
>> 22.1 and 22.2 to strict bug fixes.

Correction: not "between 22.1 and 22.2", but "between 22.0.90 and
22.2".  That's why the recent changes include those as of
before-merge-multi-tty-to-trunk.

> Yidong said "minor changes", not "strict bug fixes".

Because Emacs 22.1 was the first official major version for Mac OS X,
and the Carbon port was relatively young compared with other ports, we
had to be really careful about its stability.  That's why I put such
restriction, i.e., "strict bug fixes" rather than "minor changes",
myself on that period.

On the other hand, some progress (*1) has been made locally between
22.0.90 and 22.2.  As the Carbon port is likely to become Emacs 22
only, such progress has no appropriate destination other than
EMACS_22_BASE.

*1: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg00249.html

>> Don't worry.  They don't break the Carbon port of Emacs 22 unlike
>> the minimally-tested multi-tty support you've done for the Carbon
>> port of Emacs 23.

> Thank you, this is a great way to thank someone that is not a user
> of Carbon, does not have experience on that platform, but
> volunteered his time to get it from not even compiling to the point
> where it can start up. And that was the only effort since to get
> this working.  Again, thank you very much for your appreciation.

What was the motivation to do that then?  If you were familiar with
either Carbon or multi-tty, I could understand that.  Did you want to
pretend as if multi-tty was ready to get merged to the trunk?

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden