Re: Next release

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 14:07:50 +0900

> By "Carbon" I mean both Carbon and Carbon+AppKit, since I don't know
> the actual difference between the two.

They differs in GUI implementations.  The former uses mactoolbox.c for
that.  As this file is already in the EMACS_22_BASE branch, you can
guess the functionalities the AppKit counterpart provides by browsing
the title of each page in that file.

>> The breakage of the Carbon port is definitely NOT a reason.  Well,
>> one of the reasons would be that I found some changes that are
>> totally unrelated to multi-tty.

> Yes, the merge had its share of problems, but the fact that Lorentey
> wasn't around made it worse.  But I don't know what unrelated change
> you may be thinking about.

Of course I can give concrete examples, which are Mac-specific.  But
the point is: I found some, then how can I assure there's no other?
Rather, I would doubt the quality and reliability of the whole code
from such kinds of changes.

>> Another reason is no clear explanation given about preloading
>> term/*-win.

> There was some explanation given via email at some point.

To the list?  Then I missed the one.  I'm sorry about that.

> IIRC, the issue is that the multi-tty feature introduced the
> possibility that an Emacs session that starts using X11 (resp tty)
> may later be asked to open a tty (resp X11) terminal.  But loading
> *-win.el after Emacs has been running for a while apparently
> introduced problems, so the code was changed to eagerly load all the
> term/*-win.el files that may be used later on during the session.
> At that point, since x-win.el is loaded regardless of whether we
> only use X11 or tty, it is a perfect candidate for preloading.  Why
> is that a problem?

Thanks for the explanation.  So, they are not necessary to be
preloaded at the bootstrap stage?

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden