Re: Next release

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 21:40:38 -0400

>> Thanks again, questioning a gift and bashing the giver is indeed the
>> ideal way to treat the giver.  No good deed should ever go
>> unpunished!

> It seemed to me that you just superficially removed compilation
> errors, with minimal test (you said that it was minimally-tested).

That sounds like a good thing.  When I took care of some of the
multi-tty merge, I fixed some of the Carbon port to the best of my
knowledge without even trying to compile the code.  IIRC Dan then fixed
my rough-draft enough that the code compiled and didn't crash right
away.  We're still waiting for someone to actually finish the merge
w.r.t the Carbon port.  This can only be done by someone who understand
enough of the Carbon port.  You seem like our best hope here.

I do not know why you seem to be so offended by the multi-tty code.
Maybe if you explained it, we could work it through.  Its being
non-working and without anybody willing to fix it is basically the main
reason why we started to look into the Emacs.app code.  It is a pity to
throw away this code.

> Just like you literally replaced `next-line' with `forward-line' to
> remove byte-compiler warnings without considering their meanings.

Everybody makes mistakes.  Now, can we go back to improving Emacs
instead of bitching at each other?

        Stefan