Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 10:36:02 +0900

Juanma Barranquero writes:

 > Last I checked, Emacs wasn't yet an operating system.

Comparing kinds of software here is bogus.  The question is "what do
users want?"  Obviously, there is a vocal faction (and I believe it's
large) of Emacs users who don't like processes running on their hosts
that they didn't explicitly start, and especially not networking
processes.  But there are also an awful lot of people who would
appreciate this service, I'm sure.

I think is it quite reasonable to provide the service, default the
automatic check OFF in the sources that the Emacs project publishes,
and let redistributors make their own choices.

However, there are alternative ways to provide notification services,
such as providing an RSS feed for the update page, and making that
easy to access manually (eg, from the Help or File menus).