Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 10:30:27 +0100

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 03:31, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

> Did he reject such a system, or simply insist that it not be turned on
> by default?  I don't see how he can reject the system itself, if
> somebody else volunteers to create and maintain it.  Rejection is
> different from what he actually said, which is that he thinks those
> volunteers would be doing a better service for Emacs by developing
> Emacs instead of trying to keep up with the security details (which
> are normally not public, as you know) of an independent project.

Right. I don't reject adding such a system, with a note in NEWS
saying: "if you want automatic warning of updates, customize the
variable `emacs-check-for-updates'"- However, I do fear that, once the
system is in place, for 24.2 or 25.1 we will heard people say that the
default should be t.

(I'm leaving aside the issue of distributing binaries.)

    Juanma