Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 28b7dd4 2/2: Fix build error in bytecomp.el fro

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 28b7dd4 2/2: Fix build error in bytecomp.el from previous change
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 17:22:09 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> -(eval-when-compile (require 'compile))
>> +(require 'compile)
>
> This is a bad change.
>
> It brings in many more packages, and every additional package brought
> in reduces the quality of our warnings (e.g. if any of the packages
> (transitively) loaded load cl-lib, then we fail to signal when
> a package uses cl-lib functionality without requiring cl-lib).

I'm not quite sure I followed the last bit -- if something transitively
required cl-lib, then there's no point for the "top" file to require
cl-lib, surely?  Or is this a style issue.

But I agree that requiring compile.el runtime is probably not good, but:

> We should try and find some other solution.

No other solution I thought of at the top of my head seemed good.
Moving either of those keymaps to a different place seemed logical,
either...

The problem is that the mode now inherits from the parent defined in
compile.el:

(defvar emacs-lisp-compilation-mode-map
  (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
    (set-keymap-parent map compilation-minor-mode-map)
    (define-key map "g" 'emacs-lisp-compilation-recompile)
    map))