Re: Co-authoring and attribution in commit message

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Co-authoring and attribution in commit message
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2019 09:55:15 +0300

> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 16:36:21 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden,
>  Kévin Le Gouguec <address@hidden>
>
> One place to look (and possibly to contribute a suggestion to) is
> https://www.conventionalcommits.org/.  Another, older standard is at
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/conventions.html#crediting,
> though I think it's only used in that one project.  The latter one looks like
> it's more directly relevant to this use case than Conventional Commits is, as
> it currently supports these fields:
>
>    Patch by:
>    Suggested by:
>    Found by:
>    Review by:
>    Tested by:

Emacs ChangeLog-related modes recognize the attributions via the
following regexp:

 "\\(^\\( +\\|\t\\)\\|  \\)\\(Thanks to\\|Patch\\(es\\)? by\\|Report\\(ed by\\|
from\\)\\|Suggest\\(ed by\\|ion from\\)\\)

> "Co-authored-by:" is probably similar to "Patch by:".  Now, I think it still
> makes sense for us to use "Co-authored-by:", given that some (admittedly
> non-free-software) tools already parse it [1], but I wanted to make sure that
> these parallel efforts are known, so that we can learn whatever is available
> to be learned from them as we're setting a convention.

I think this should be part of the GNU Coding Standards (GCS), and
thus I suggest to discuss it on the bug-standards mailing list, not
here.  IMO, it isn't right for a single project to adopt such
standards, this should be in GNU-common conventions and guidelines.