Re: Tabs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 01:42:20 +0300

>>> Do you see it in an optimized build?
>>
>> I see the same problem after building with
>>
>>    ./configure --with-x-toolkit=no
>
> Which is the problem you see here?  C-x 6 f works pretty well in such
> builds

I see the problem with this test case:

0. emacs -Q
1. C-x t 2
2. C-S-TAB

where switching back to the first tab damages the tool bar
as shown on this screenshot:

PNG image

So maybe the problem is in set-window-configuration?
(that is used by tab switching)

But changing the default value of frame-inhibit-implied-resize
to '(tab-bar-lines tool-bar-lines)' fixes it.

> although I would prefer to (at least customizably) see the tab
> bar to appear below the tool bar but that's no great deal.

I have no preference, but in web browsers the tab bar is above the tool bar,
and this makes more sense because the tool bar depends more on the buffer so
it should located closer to the buffer, whereas the tab bar refers to elements
higher in the window/frame hierarchy.