Re: Tabs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 23:54:48 +0300

>>> BTW: At some point during the latest changes there was a change in the
>>> tui tabs?? They where made as text mode before, but now they are
>>> graphical tabs over the terminal (picture attached)...

The intention was to make text tabs look like gui tabs.
Thanks for confirming that the goal was achieved.

>>They aren't graphical, they are still text.  Emacs cannot display
>>graphics on TTY frames.
>
> I have a non so technical question here. I see that the tab-bar face is
> defined completely in the code, but if instead we define it as
> inheriting from a more "traditional/standard" face (like tool-bar or
> similes) maybe the users that had already configured it will have the
> impression of a better integration??.
>
> I mention this because many themes define a toolbar color/font and it
> will be needed some time before they also define a tab-bar color, so
> when emacs 27 will be released all the users with those themes will have
> tabs not matching in their emacs appearance.
>
> Does it makes sense?

The problem is that by default tool-bar takes its colors from external
resources.  faces.el defines the 'tool-bar' background color as "grey75",
but running 'emacs -q' (lowercase '-q' that loads x-resources) and
visiting the 'tool-bar' face customization via M-x list-faces-display
shows other colors:

   [X] : Foreground: #4a4a4a     Choose   (sample)
   [X] : Background: #f0f0f0     Choose   (sample)

Where does it get #4a4a4a and #f0f0f0?

I tried to run 'xrdb -query | grep -i tool' and the output is:

  Emacs.tool-bar.attributeBackground:   #f0f0f0
  Emacs.tool-bar.attributeForeground:   #4a4a4a

But where these settings come from?

I searched in /etc and found /etc/xrdb/Emacs.ad with:

  Emacs.tool-bar.attributeBackground: BACKGROUND
  Emacs.tool-bar.attributeForeground: FOREGROUND

But there is no "Emacs.tab-bar".  Anyway I already added
reading the "Emacs.tab-bar" resource to x-apply-session-resources
in startup.el, so I guess now maintainers of different distributions
could add it to the list of default X resources.