Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 13:14:18 +0200

On 19.11.2019 8:09, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > > Users don't need to do any of that -- they just send and email

   > They don't know that.

What exactly would it be good for users to know?

How to do simple things with the bug tracker, like closing the bug (there are more actions one is normally accustomed to being able to do, though).

When and how can we tell them?

A decent Web UI could do that. But since Debbugs does not have it, we could write the instructions "how to do that over email" somewhere in the bug report page, among all the other text most users just skip over.

   > Some other percentage will spend 10 minutes googling "how to freaking
   > close a Debbugs bug report",

Who are the people that ought to close bug reports
and wouldn't know how?

Regular users who filed said reports in the first place.