Re: list of elisp primitives ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: list of elisp primitives ?
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 02:39:09 +0900

> On Dec 23, 2019, at 2:31, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying ... to find a limited subset of
>> functions that one can use to program in elisp
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> and do non-trivial things but that do not
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> involve searching the reference at all times.
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That's not what a list of subrs gives you, at all.
> A subr is just a function coded in C, not in Lisp.
> Likewise, for other things, such as variables,
> that might be defined in C.
>
> The choice of whether to implement something in C
> has nothing to do with, and is no guide for, ease
> in learning or how often something is used in
> typical Elisp code.

I'm not suggesting that implementing lisp functions in C is related to ease of
learning or anything.

My idea, which may be wrong, is that lisp code uses building blocks to provide
more advanced functions and that the most basic blocks are lisp functions
implemented in C.

Hence, knowing the building blocks (or a few dozen useful ones) can give a
clearer idea of what to do with elisp in general.

Mind you, I too am trying to find my way around and it's not easy. My pet peeve
is "discoverability" and for now despite the info/doc integration, I'm still
very much struggling.

Jean-Christophe Helary