RE: list of elisp primitives ?

From: arthur miller
Subject: RE: list of elisp primitives ?
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 18:00:35 +0000

I think you are thinking from the wrong end. As a consult I had opportunity to work with all kind of languages I never thought I would work with and of which I had no idea what APIs where available or what was idiomatic coding.

Anyway my approach was always to think in general programming terms of repetition, conditional, aggregations etc. I would then lookup what I needed to find out details of syntax and exposed libraries.

I believe programming, and any programming language is best learned by doing. Especially when you already know how machine works and have knowledge of algorithms, data structures and program organization.

If you have seen thevlegendaru K&R C book, then that is a bitwhat I mean. I don't think picking up some small subset of API and giving it to people and telling them to make something with it is the necessary the best approach. Probably to show them basics on small exercises and teach them how to lookup information they need further. Yes it takes time to lookup stuff, but that is the nature of the thing.

If we make an analogy with Lego bricks, then yes one can see library functions as bricks to be combined, but just as Lego bricks, and everything else in life, one has to know what one wants to make before one starts to build it, otherwise it will just be random mess.

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.