Re: Process to build standalone Emacs + deps in Windows

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: Process to build standalone Emacs + deps in Windows
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 17:01:52 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> If this is indeed so, it's a bug in the build procedure.  All the
> optional DLLs (a.k.a. "dependencies") are loaded dynamically at run
> time, and if some DLL is unavailable, the corresponding features will
> fail, but Emacs will still run "by itself" and be a useful editor.

Sorry, it seems I misunderstood the *-no-deps concept deeply. I had
always assumed that *-no-deps whas a zip to be installed on top of the
*-deps one.

So, just to clarify, the *-no-deps is a standalone executable that works
(I checked it) but only guarantees that the editor works. Other
components, such as Gnus, the web browser, etc, may fail due to missing
tools (e.g. Gnus fails because gnu-tls is missing).

Cheers,

--
Juan José García Ripoll
http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com