Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 22:04:49 +0300

On 19.06.2020 21:41, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
When I work with xref-related features, I keep the*XREF*  buffer on
display as long as I use it.  When I'm done using it, I don't care
about it anymore.

In any case, there's just one such buffer, so switching to it is easy.

For singleton buffers, we could conceivably go either way, but recall what I said about people wanting to be able to predominantly use project-switch-to-buffer while working on a project.

There are other kinds of buffers not tied to files that are not always singleton. E.g. rspec-mode creates compilation-based buffers that can be (depending on a user option) created per-project. And even when it's singleton, that particular buffer is only relevant to one project usually (the one that ran the tests most recently).

That we mainly support projects that piggy-back VCS repositories
doesn't mean that's the only kind of project that could be useful.

True.

And even if the backend is Git, no one said that I want all of the
files in the repository to be part of my project.  I may be working on
a project that includes just a handful of files from a repository that
has thousands of them.

That is, again, true. But what of the rest of files in that repository? Do they belong to a different project? Do you also visit them, or not? If both answers are "no", then the current approach should work well enough. Otherwise, you're welcome to file a new bug report with more details, and we'll see what can be improved to accommodate that situation too.