Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 18:22:48 +0000

> My point was and remains that using default-directory as the single
> criterion for deciding whether a buffer should be offered as
> completion candidate to switch while working on a project, sounds like
> not the best idea, since it will pick up many buffers to which users
> are unlikely to want to switch as part of working on the project.
Yeah, I agree.  I can try to come up with something more appropriate
than the default-directory. Though I for one, want the *xref* to be part
of that, since "project-find-regexp" uses it. I believe I read you
wouldn't want it. I guess many others will have many different opinions
in this matter.

>> Otherwise, I guess the user has to specify a set of patterns, or at
>> least decide on major-modes to include, and that would seem like a
>> hassle to me.
>
> That is a one-time decision, when you start a project and decide what
> kind of a project will it be.
I see your point, though that seems to imply a little foresight from the
users. Also, I am not sure every emacs users are aware of what modes
inherits from what modes etc.

In addition, when do we make that first desicion, really? Right now it
just sort of happens after you go "git init" in terminal. To me it
sounds like that new workflow adds some steps to what is right now a
quite seamless experience.

Theo