Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 22:12:18 +0300

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 22:04:49 +0300
>
> > And even if the backend is Git, no one said that I want all of the
> > files in the repository to be part of my project.  I may be working on
> > a project that includes just a handful of files from a repository that
> > has thousands of them.
>
> That is, again, true. But what of the rest of files in that repository?
> Do they belong to a different project?

Yes.

> Do you also visit them, or not?

Not as part of working on the current project.  Though I might decide
to add some of them to the current project, as the need arises.

> If both answers are "no", then the current approach should work well
> enough. Otherwise, you're welcome to file a new bug report with more
> details, and we'll see what can be improved to accommodate that
> situation too.

Which details are needed?

In any case, my point was that relying on the VCS to determine what is
and isn't in the project presents a restriction that a general-purpose
project-handling facility should lift early on to be useful, IMO.